Tuesday, December 27, 2011

holiday festivity napkins

Here's a festive holiday project that's also great for New Year's: embellished napkins, as seen on Momtastic. With metallic paints (the Martha Stewart line at Michael's has lots of great options) and a circular sponge brush, you can whip up a few of these for your holiday table in no time. To make it even quicker, I picked up some inexpensive white napkins at Target so I didn't have to sew my own.

  • Napkins (or fabric to sew your own)
  • Acrylic paints or fabric paints in metallics
  • Fabric medium (if using acrylic paints)
  • Round foam brush (pouncer)
  • Paper plate to pour paint on

Since I used regular acrylic paints, I mixed them with a fabric medium (according to the instructions on the bottle) to make sure the napkins would be machine washable. Then I just laid out the napkins on some newspaper, dipped the foam brush, and made random dots all over. I didn't worry too much about perfect coverage for each dot, but kind of twisting the brush around a little once pressed down helped get fairly even coverage. After they were dry, I ironed to set the fabric medium.

I gave these ones as gifts - they might also be great as hostess gifts - but if I were hosting anything at New Year's, I'd definitely use these for a festive table setting!



  1. Amazing!!! And, you make it look so easy and doable. I might could pull this project off myself :)

    I found you through It's Overflowing and I'm so glad I did. I'm your newest follower. Come by and see me sometime at 52mantels.com

  2. I love these! Just 10 minutes ago, I was saying "I want some polka dots in my home!" Well-- here's a great start! :)

    Thanks for sharing these...found you on It's Overflowing.

    All the best in 2012!

  3. I love mine! Thanks! I definitely will be using mine for New Years Eve.

    G. Judy

  4. That is so cute I can hardly stand it! Thanks for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity! I’m excited to continue being inspired by you in 2012!!! XO, Aimee

  5. Love your blog, and your ideas! I found you on "It's Overflowing" Linky party! I'm having one myself and would it if you would join. Here is the link www.thesouthernproductqueen.com

  6. These napkins are adorable ! I hope that you will share them at my linky party, Some Good Stuff: http://some-good-times.blogspot.com/2012/01/some-good-stuff-1.html


  7. You are awesome so I featured you at my Hookin Up with HoH Party!

    Feel free to stop by for a button if you'd like. :)


    Allison @ House of Hepworths

  8. Ah, these are so cute!!! Definitely pinning for future reference. :) Xo, Katie


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...