Monday, December 6, 2010

6 - evergreen wreath



The church we've been going to had a wreath-making event, so I was excited to have access to the greenery and some instructions to learn how to make my own Christmas wreath.

Basically, you just start out with a pile of greens - here's the size pile they had for all of us:

Then, using these pins, arrange and attach the greens to the straw wreath form.

There are lots of techniques/approaches according to how you want the wreath to look, but we joked these had a lot to do with personality. The organizer of the event guessed that I was a type-A perfectionist right away...

The technique I came up with was to cut the greens short before attaching, and then to work around in a spiral (everything pointing the same direction). When I had the main part covered, I made sure the center and sides were covered and that the shape was uniform over all, adding additional pieces where necessary.

I also attached a couple pinecones and some greenery that had some red berries with wire at the end.

9 comments:

  1. Wow this is so creative! My mom used to make wreaths but I never knew how she did it.. yours are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I purchased a wreath and then added extra greens and stuff. Turned out pretty good. It would have been fun to learn how to do it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW...forgot to mention I came over from Domestically Speaking's Countdown to Christmas Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I never knew how those were made before, it doesn't seem too hard now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolutely gorgeous and full wreath! You made it look so easy! I bet it smells amazing!

    Happy Holidays!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, this looks lovely too, you creative girl, you!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everybody! It was indeed much easier to make than I would have expected. And I've got it living on the front door, so when we open up the storm door to come inside, all the lovely scent is stored up - a nice welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what did you use for the wreath form and what is the green tape it is covered with?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...